Go Back   MMO Central Forums > Guilds and Clans Forums > Cold Callers Guild

Notices

Cold Callers Guild Welcome to the Cold Callers Guild

Old The "Caught Packing" award should end after this summer

Login or Register now to see fewer ads.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:05 PM
If it's your b-day, happy b-day!

My Mood: Happy
Just A Dream has the heart of a hobbit!Just A Dream has the heart of a hobbit!Just A Dream has the heart of a hobbit!Just A Dream has the heart of a hobbit!Just A Dream has the heart of a hobbit!Just A Dream has the heart of a hobbit!Just A Dream has the heart of a hobbit!Just A Dream has the heart of a hobbit!Just A Dream has the heart of a hobbit!Just A Dream has the heart of a hobbit!Just A Dream has the heart of a hobbit!
The "Caught Packing" award should end after this summer

Hello! I am writing this thread because I believe the yearly Caught Packing award should be retired after this summer. I am not writing this to deride anyone for being caught packing. I think packing is great, but after many summers, I think the award has ran its course. This is a very long post, so if you are looking for a tl;dr version, just read what I put in bold.

1. By organizing a summer to recognize packing, we differentiate it from the norm. It is weird to recognize toons packing for only the summer and then not acknowledge it for the rest of the year. We give our congratulations to toons who get a suit promotion, laff boost, etc. at any time of the year, so if we were recognize others for packing, why is it only during the summer?

2. This award can incentivize players to do the exact opposite. It may also mean that those who board the elevator may never get recognized for what they do. One guideline states:
Quote:
Pack the elevators — No elevator should leave with empty slots. If you are on the loading platform, it is assumed you are ready to load. If there are vacancies on the elevator, pack on.
When you think about it, if one is trying to get the Caught Packing award, wouldn't the last thing they want to do is board the elevator immediately? In order to get the reward, you either must be caught packing or spot someone packing. This means that toons who board the first elevator have a less likely chance of getting the award because they are in the lobby for the least amount of time. Bigger suits are also more likely to stay in the back because they may have the intention of allowing smallers suits to board the elevator first. I get into the details about this later on in this post.

A two-time ambassador once said,
Quote:
I usually load onto the elevator as soon as I get to it and there's an open spot.
Many CCGers are aware that this ambassador tries to board the first elevator everytime. How many times has this ambassador been caught packing? Let's see the Caught Packing threads from the last three years.

In three years, their name has only ever appeared once.

Now, how many times does one get caught packing when attending CCG runs just to help? A CCG moderator said two years ago,
Quote:
End elevators are tricky ones because so many are just there to help. I don't mind missing a run when I know I can always catch another. I also don't mind being last because I never mind going with a short team at the end while I know others aren't comfortable.
According to the Caught Packing 2019 - 2021 threads, in three years, their name has appeared 22 times!

To add on, see the screenshot below.

Click the image to view the full version

This screenshot was taken one second before my toon boarded the elevator. I decided to press tab a couple of times to view the toons behind me. From looking at the nametags, we see a couple of toons have already boarded (look at the arrows). However, there are other toons that are still standing still even though the elevator is open. From the looks of it, only the cream cat is moving towards the elevator. Now, I am not going to make assumptions and say that they're doing this because they want an award. Some reasons include being there just to help, lagging in the lobby, or not wanting to be pushed around by toons storming the elevator. However, this proves that it is common for toons to stand back instead of rushing to the elevator.

3. All "Caught Packing" threads have this line:
Quote:
Filling the last spots on the elevator also counts, but only if the timer was nearing its end (3.. 2.. 1).
The guideline states,
Quote:
if you are on the loading platform, it is assumed you are ready to load.
Unless there aren't enough toons to fill the last spots, these spots should not be vacated when the timer is near its end. When you think about it, in this scenario, doesn't this mean the one who PACKS is the one breaking the guidelines? The one who gets recognized packing for filling a LAST spot only got caught packing because they didn't initially walk into the elevator.

This is why I dislike this FAQ:
Quote:
I loaded the elevator and stayed on. Doesn’t that count?
Sorry, while you did the right thing in loading and staying, it isn’t the same as packing. Packing is only if you fill a spot left by a shuffler or that no one else will take.
If anything, toons who load the elevator IMMEDIATELY should be recognized and rewarded more than toons filling the last spot.

4. "Caught Packing" can feel like a competition because there is a counter for how many times a person packs. For example, take a look at this list below:

Blue Monkey
Green Monkey x5
Red Monkey x2

The list makes it look like Green Monkey is better than Blue Monkey and Red Monkey, but that shouldn't be the case. It doesn't help that this year's thread is asking us,
Quote:
How often will YOU be caught packing?
This list exposes how many shufflers are attending CCG runs. If I'm being asked how often I'll be caught packing, I hope it is zero because that means there are no shufflers.

5. We need to also recognize the real problem. Why is there shuffling in the first place? How can we decrease shuffling?

a. There are toons who do not know what the CCG is.

Whenever someone shuffles, I always see members say, "No shuffling in CCG runs" which is great! Now they know what not to do. However, wouldn't it be better if they knew what not to do before runtime? Maybe a solution could be to put some rules in a chat bubble when waiting at the pit. I always see those countdowns of members saying, "1 minute left" or "we go by the book time." Perhaps we could also let it be known that there's no shuffling before the run.

b. An elevator is filled with low suits.

Most of the time, being a Mr. Hollywood means you're a big toon and being a Cold Caller means you're a small toon. If an elevator is filled with lower suits, there is the possibility of some of them being scared and wanting to hop off. To avoid this, should bigger suits also be trying to get in an elevator? Many big toons have the idea that the smaller toons should go in first because the bigger toons don't need it, but while there are good intentions, it can cause shuffling.

If you made it this far, thank you for reading my post! My thoughts were mainly for the CCG ambassadors and moderators to read, but if you have any other thoughts, whether you agree or disagree, feel free to share them here!

Last edited by Zilly; 06-21-2022 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Mod trolling
Old 06-20-2022, 04:35 PM
Open and Test

varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!
Agree!

This goes back to the time we (you and I) discussed 'Monitoring' ...... I'm not loading / packing cause I monitoring the loads.

It was started to help with summer randoms who would show up to the runs. If you doing the CCG thing then it shouldn't matter. Get off the stairs and pack on.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:31 PM
soundless irl

My Mood: Sleepyy
Princess Zuzu Rosepetals has the heart of a hobbit!Princess Zuzu Rosepetals has the heart of a hobbit!Princess Zuzu Rosepetals has the heart of a hobbit!Princess Zuzu Rosepetals has the heart of a hobbit!Princess Zuzu Rosepetals has the heart of a hobbit!Princess Zuzu Rosepetals has the heart of a hobbit!Princess Zuzu Rosepetals has the heart of a hobbit!Princess Zuzu Rosepetals has the heart of a hobbit!Princess Zuzu Rosepetals has the heart of a hobbit!Princess Zuzu Rosepetals has the heart of a hobbit!Princess Zuzu Rosepetals has the heart of a hobbit!
Thank you for your input about the Caught Packing thread. The information has been passed on to the ambassadors, and they are now discussing.

Ambassador Hotline | About Me | CCG Site
Rachel Rosesong; Life 87 ~ Rachel Swiftblossom ; Ice 41 ~ Destiny Stormheart; Storm 33 ~ Kiley Silverbright; Balance 12 ~ Brooke Rainblood; Myth 7

Old 06-21-2022, 05:04 AM
Cold Caller's Guild!

My Mood: Duckish
Prof. Lionel will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeProf. Lionel will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeProf. Lionel will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeProf. Lionel will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeProf. Lionel will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeProf. Lionel will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeProf. Lionel will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeProf. Lionel will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeProf. Lionel will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeProf. Lionel will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeProf. Lionel will one day be as helpful as Samwise Gamgee
I would agree that the current setup incentivizes people to purposefully look to get caught packing or to be in a position to catch others. Maybe it's because we're still at the beginning of summer, but in my recent experience, there simply isn't as much shuffling as there used to be (which is a good thing!). But that means there aren't actually very many opportunities to be caught packing after someone shuffles off. Getting the shiny forum award is the incentive to get caught packing, but since it's only available for a limited time there's a bit of pressure to make sure you get it.

Some thoughts that popped into my head that might help with brainstorming:
- Maybe it would be better to only have ambassadors catch people packing, so that we can be more specific about rewarding the behavior we want to see.
- Along with that, maybe instead of a distinct award every year, and/or instead of a limited time of year, we could use a more general award that covers being caught packing at any time and there isn't some kind of FOMO (fear of missing out) on not getting the award one year.
- Alternatively, instead of an award, maybe it's something we could recognize in the same way we recognize other achievements like first wins and suit promotions, potentially even just a new section of the biweekly achievements post. That would still let us recognize people without it seeming as much of an want or need to get the shiny thing.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:52 AM
president of the Wahoo fan club

My Mood: Snuggly
Laverne is a player of legend in their game.Laverne is a player of legend in their game.Laverne is a player of legend in their game.Laverne is a player of legend in their game.Laverne is a player of legend in their game.Laverne is a player of legend in their game.Laverne is a player of legend in their game.Laverne is a player of legend in their game.Laverne is a player of legend in their game.Laverne is a player of legend in their game.Laverne is a player of legend in their game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post
Agree!

This goes back to the time we (you and I) discussed 'Monitoring' ...... I'm not loading / packing cause I monitoring the loads.

It was started to help with summer randoms who would show up to the runs. If you doing the CCG thing then it shouldn't matter. Get off the stairs and pack on.
Ah yes, that excuse!

On a similar topic (although I just want to *slightly* vent) - there's been a fair few runs I've been to recently where my load has a space or two open and nobody decides to jump on to fill it. I get that some people want to split into two slightly undermanned groups rather than one full group and one short group, but in the spirit of the CCG that isn't it. If it were me, I'd love to have gotten caught packing, but I guess not everybody knows about the award.

I tend to really only go to runs because there's something I need (mainly SOS cards and unites these days since I keep wasting 'em ) I know people really like to help, but I can't help but picture in my mind a little Cold Caller wondering why there's a bunch of maxed Hollywoods standing near the steps not joining the elevator. It's a bit of a stereotype of what little and big suits are in terms of experience, but there's always going to be nervous folks who just want to win and I just think having some big suits pack on would make them feel more at ease.

I haven't seen much shuffling purely because I'm usually asleep during the peak time CCG runs but judging by your post, Justin, not much has changed and I'm inclined to agree with you on the situation.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:01 PM
Open and Test

varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!varmint has an achievement named after them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Lionel View Post
- Alternatively, instead of an award, maybe it's something we could recognize in the same way we recognize other achievements like first wins and suit promotions, potentially even just a new section of the biweekly achievements post. That would still let us recognize people without it seeming as much of an want or need to get the shiny thing.
I like this idea. The toons get recognized in a timely fashion plus it is year round. Simple enough when creating the reports to add a comment "this toon packed on".

I think the "pack on" only really occurs when a toon shuffles. It shouldnt be who took the last space or rushed to get in the last 3 seconds. If toons were doing the CCG thing then the elevator would be full before the final 3 seconds.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:46 PM
Always close to trouble

My Mood: Cheeky
scottsman is a player of legend in their game.scottsman is a player of legend in their game.scottsman is a player of legend in their game.scottsman is a player of legend in their game.scottsman is a player of legend in their game.scottsman is a player of legend in their game.scottsman is a player of legend in their game.scottsman is a player of legend in their game.scottsman is a player of legend in their game.scottsman is a player of legend in their game.scottsman is a player of legend in their game.
I love everyone's passion for the CCG and I can see your point Just a Dream. It is counter-intuitive to incentivize not jumping on board and rewarding folks for something they should be doing anyway.

I kind of like Lionel's idea, just add it as feature of the Oooo Shiny Thread. However, I worry that not everyone will report it. Maybe it's better just to drop it, but we should put it up for a vote so everyone in CCG gets a chance to chime in.