Go Back   MMO Central Forums > Toontown Rewritten > Toontown Rewritten Playground

Notices

Toontown Rewritten Playground General discussion for Toontown Rewritten.

Old Disney and TTR/What if TTR closes/Legalities *Megathread*

Login or Register now to see fewer ads.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:13 AM
Game Over
598sandy's Main Toon Info

My Mood: LiveChat
598sandy was one of the first to find ^^vv<><>BA
No one needs to do that, the answer is simple. Of course Disney can sue and shut down this game whenever they choose to. They own the rights to all of the characters, so even if the NPC sprites aren't in the game, there's still the playground names. Even then, Disney owns Toontown and Panda3D so they could shut Toontown Rewritten whenever they want.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:17 AM
OBJECTION!
Cyndaquil707's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Gaming
Cyndaquil707 is famous at conventions.Cyndaquil707 is famous at conventions.Cyndaquil707 is famous at conventions.Cyndaquil707 is famous at conventions.Cyndaquil707 is famous at conventions.Cyndaquil707 is famous at conventions.
I don't see why'd they care.
They don't make profit off of TT anymore so why should they shut us down?
Old 11-18-2013, 02:22 AM
Heyo!
Da Jinks's Main Toon Info

My Mood: CCG_ish
Da Jinks is an iconic figure worthy of Mickey MouseDa Jinks is an iconic figure worthy of Mickey MouseDa Jinks is an iconic figure worthy of Mickey MouseDa Jinks is an iconic figure worthy of Mickey MouseDa Jinks is an iconic figure worthy of Mickey MouseDa Jinks is an iconic figure worthy of Mickey MouseDa Jinks is an iconic figure worthy of Mickey MouseDa Jinks is an iconic figure worthy of Mickey MouseDa Jinks is an iconic figure worthy of Mickey MouseDa Jinks is an iconic figure worthy of Mickey MouseDa Jinks is an iconic figure worthy of Mickey Mouse
Here is a question for people...

So alot of people worry Disney may shut TTR down due to copyright issues and such.

Now, I'm not hear to talk about that, but something else...

If a game LIKE ToonTown was made (gameplay is similar, same fun fashion, etc.) but is far enough away from ToonTown as to not be infringing on the copyright, would you play it?

And yes, I'm talking completely different names for everything, new NPCs, no more Disney anything at all.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:29 AM
Gojira's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Mornin
Gojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner Tooniness
Maybe if it were based on something interesting, yes. If it was another rehashed anime game, then no.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:31 AM
Gojira's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Mornin
Gojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner Tooniness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolff barking View Post
If you had read about the 1978 thing, I was wrong. The copyright laws on Toontown Online expired when they closed the game down, Its now what they call Imminent Domain, which means its up for grabs, and TTR can copyright it if they'd like.
So, Basically what I'm saying is Disney can't do anything because Copyright expired when they closed the game down. Of course there's always a chance of anything in life, but the chances of Disney taking actions and even if they did, Win? Very slim
Ah, that clears things up.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:50 AM
Toontown 4 life
Memorycat's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Toony
Memorycat helps all the newbs!Memorycat helps all the newbs!Memorycat helps all the newbs!
it depends. Wizard101 and pirate101 are "similar" to toontown but I don't really like them. But if it's toony enough then possibly..
Old 11-18-2013, 03:00 AM
I'll be in the reading room.
QED's Main Toon Info

QED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner Tooniness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolff barking View Post
If you had read about the 1978 thing, I was wrong. The copyright laws on Toontown Online expired when they closed the game down, Its now what they call Imminent Domain, which means its up for grabs, and TTR can copyright it if they'd like.
So, Basically what I'm saying is Disney can't do anything because Copyright expired when they closed the game down. Of course there's always a chance of anything in life, but the chances of Disney taking actions and even if they did, Win? Very slim
Just for the record, this isn't true. In fact, I'm reasonably sure "Imminent Domain" doesn't even exist. (Eminent domain does, but it's not exactly relevant to this issue...)
Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 AM
Mobian Raichu
Pow Pow's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Silly
Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaria View Post
You spelled Di$$$$$ney wrong
If Disney had to be spelled with a dollar sign, then every other company in the world should be represented in the same way. However, I will admit that this is personally my own opinion. Any ideas for Nintendo?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 AM
What Does That Button Do?
Just Ducky 1's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Bahahaha
Just Ducky 1 was one of the first to find ^^vv<><>BA
A feasible option

Since there will be no profit on TTR due to it being free I think Disney's first response if they don't like TTR once it is up and running would be a cease and desist letter with a threat of suing if it is not removed. I doubt the people making TTR have financial resources to even tempt them to sue. As for closing it thinking that people will migrate back to Club Penguin or Disney Infinity that's pretty much a no brainer... the majority of toons have no interest in those games.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:56 AM
The possibilities are INFINITE.
Professor Adan's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Dawggish
Professor Adan is ooo!Professor Adan is ooo!Professor Adan is ooo!Professor Adan is ooo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pow Pow View Post
If Disney had to be spelled with a dollar sign, then every other company in the world should be represented in the same way. However, I will admit that this is personally my own opinion. Any ideas for Nintendo?
Nintendough.
(Only mad because they never released Mother 3 in the US)
On topic: People would be disgusted if Di$ney sued a couple of dedicated programmers after shutting down the game.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:41 AM
Owoooooo!
Capen's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Amuzed
Capen could defeat Bowser one-handed!Capen could defeat Bowser one-handed!Capen could defeat Bowser one-handed!Capen could defeat Bowser one-handed!
If the game was made with the purpose of recreating Toontown in a way so that copyright was not infringed, I would probably play.

If the game is just visually or mechanically similar to Toontown, I probably wouldn't. (Unless it was nearly identical).
It just wouldn't be the same. Not just the community, but the purpose.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 AM
My Username scrolls because I'm soooo good at #toontowntrivia !
MoonLightRiver's Main Toon Info

My Mood: BadDay
MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!
It just really depends... I play Wizard and Pirate101 but I still don't get that feeling. I know the games are different but you know
Old 11-18-2013, 05:23 AM
PotHBP
Pirate Huntress's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Impatient
Pirate Huntress will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeePirate Huntress will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeePirate Huntress will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeePirate Huntress will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeePirate Huntress will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeePirate Huntress will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeePirate Huntress will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeePirate Huntress will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeePirate Huntress will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeePirate Huntress will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeePirate Huntress will one day be as helpful as Samwise Gamgee
I'd be willing to give it a try, but I dunno.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:34 AM
My Username scrolls because I'm soooo good at #toontowntrivia !
MoonLightRiver's Main Toon Info

My Mood: BadDay
MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!
Reading through these posts, and I have to agree with some of them. We are pretty much unsure of what Toontown Rewritten's future is. Disney might of done something by now. But who knows? Other then the company. Disney only wants us to know what we know. Toontown Rewritten is not making a profit, but the copyrights from Disney... There's so many opinions on this, it's hard to tell which is right. But, we don't really know until. Only time will tell. I would just be glad we have a Toontown to play right now. Other then no Toontown at all.

@Above post, people were already mad when Toontown closed xD
Old 11-18-2013, 09:26 AM
TTR Alpha Tester
Captain flippenhopper's Main Toon Info

My Mood: TTC-Addict
Captain flippenhopper glows with inner TooninessCaptain flippenhopper glows with inner TooninessCaptain flippenhopper glows with inner TooninessCaptain flippenhopper glows with inner TooninessCaptain flippenhopper glows with inner TooninessCaptain flippenhopper glows with inner TooninessCaptain flippenhopper glows with inner Tooniness
As long as the core mechanics are kept, i.e. the cogs and cog types, and their HQ's and the battles, gag and gag types, the task system, laff and all that kind of thing, i wouldn't mind if all Disney-related names were out of the game.
It'd be very much a boost to the game for me if they kept lil' Oldman though :P. That name isn't really disney-related.

I like the way the devs are going now though - essentially recreating toontown but fixing things, and showing possibility for adding new content :-) (they revamped Cog Thief after all :P). But if a copyright claim were filed against TTR and they'd have to remove all the Disney names, i'd still play the game. I don't mind the names all too much (excepting Lil' Oldman), as long as the game stays the same.