Go Back   MMO Central Forums > Toontown Rewritten > Toontown Rewritten Playground

Notices

Toontown Rewritten Playground General discussion for Toontown Rewritten.

Old Disney and TTR/What if TTR closes/Legalities *Megathread*

Login or Register now to see fewer ads.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Game Over
598sandy's Main Toon Info

My Mood: LiveChat
598sandy was one of the first to find ^^vv<><>BA
I wouldn't be surprised if they did. The Club Penguin private servers are considerably different, and they have been shut down numerous times. TTR is almost an exact copy, so there's a good chance they will. TTR isn't legal anyways, so if they decide to take action, expect TTR to get shut down.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:07 PM
The Castle of Ahhhhhhh...
Radicrane's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Adventurous
Radicrane was one of the first to find ^^vv<><>BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
Unless TTR survives past the point when copyright expires, DIMG might try and go after it.
Do you know how long a copyright lasts?
Old 11-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Pirate King
SkipperTheDog's Main Toon Info

SkipperTheDog helps all the newbs!SkipperTheDog helps all the newbs!SkipperTheDog helps all the newbs!
Tbh, Disney can and will sue TTR if they want to. It doesn't matter if disney makes no profit from sueing TTR. You can sue anyone for anything as long as you have a cause for sueing them. Disney would also have a good reason to sue TTR. Also, I don't think that a "copyright expiration" exists for toontown, since Disney were the original creators of toontown. However, I guess only time can tell what Disney will do.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 PM
TTR Alpha and Beta tester
Med's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Toony
Med is famous at conventions.Med is famous at conventions.Med is famous at conventions.Med is famous at conventions.Med is famous at conventions.Med is famous at conventions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radicrane View Post
Do you know how long a copyright lasts?
2020 I heard.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Mobian Raichu
Pow Pow's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Silly
Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
Unless TTR survives past the point when copyright expires, DIMG might try and go after it.
The only problem is, from what I know, copyright doesn't really expire until after a hundred years (From what I think, copyright lasts for the creator's life span plus 50 years or so) I think Disney is actually struggling to keep the rights for Mickey!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 PM
My Username scrolls because I'm soooo good at #toontowntrivia !
MoonLightRiver's Main Toon Info

My Mood: BadDay
MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!MoonLightRiver has the heart of a hobbit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 598sandy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they did. The Club Penguin private servers are considerably different, and they have been shut down numerous times. TTR is almost an exact copy, so there's a good chance they will. TTR isn't legal anyways, so if they decide to take action, expect TTR to get shut down.

Only time will tell. Disney only wants us to know what they want us to know. No one knows for sure except for the company Disney
Old 11-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Game Over
598sandy's Main Toon Info

My Mood: LiveChat
598sandy was one of the first to find ^^vv<><>BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Poodlesnooker View Post
I still don't understand what the "legal issues" people keep talking about are.

- Everyone who played Toontown has the files to rebuild it.
- Toontown Rewritten staff are using their own game server which they paid for.
- The actual game is closed, so Toontown Rewritten isn't stealing members from the original Toontown.
^These are facts, not opinions.

If anyone paid for their own game server and understood python coding, they too could
host their own game server for Toontown.

The most important thing is that Toontown Rewritten is non-profit. They're not making money off of Disney's graphics, textures (in fact they're apparently remaking textures to an HD size...), and coding. They don't even have a donation page or anything like that on their site or on any of their other official sources, and I'm assuming there won't be one ever.

I've seen people causing arguments all over the place about Toontown Rewritten's legal issues, and it's getting really out of hand. Before you try to convince others that the game's going to be shut down for legal issues, consider the facts.

And to anyone not planning to play Toontown Rewritten because they're "afraid if it's going to be shut down", that's nobody else's loss but yours. You won't be putting any money into it, so there's no loss in playing the game....
The first 2 points you made are not true.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Gojira's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Mornin
Gojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner TooninessGojira glows with inner Tooniness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Med View Post
2020 I heard.
I'm pretty sure it's 2014 actually. Not sure though.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Leveled up!
Randolff barking's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Exasperated
Randolff barking was one of the first to find ^^vv<><>BA
If you had read about the 1978 thing, I was wrong. The copyright laws on Toontown Online expired when they closed the game down, Its now what they call Imminent Domain, which means its up for grabs, and TTR can copyright it if they'd like.
So, Basically what I'm saying is Disney can't do anything because Copyright expired when they closed the game down. Of course there's always a chance of anything in life, but the chances of Disney taking actions and even if they did, Win? Very slim

Last edited by Randolff barking; 11-17-2013 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: My facts were originally wrong
Old 11-17-2013, 11:10 PM
I'll be in the reading room.
QED's Main Toon Info

QED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner TooninessQED glows with inner Tooniness
Quote:
I still don't understand what the "legal issues" people keep talking about are.
Well, I'm not sure what you don't understand -- the whole project is essentially illegal. And you don't have to take my word for it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey19982
Yeah, the project in any way we do it will end up being illegal. (Illegal for the people running it, not the people playing it.) There isn't much around that.
Quote:
- Everyone who played Toontown has the files to rebuild it.
- Toontown Rewritten staff are using their own game server which they paid for.
- The actual game is closed, so Toontown Rewritten isn't stealing members from the original Toontown.
^These are facts, not opinions.

If anyone paid for their own game server and understood python coding, they too could
host their own game server for Toontown.

The most important thing is that Toontown Rewritten is non-profit. They're not making money off of Disney's graphics, textures (in fact they're apparently remaking textures to an HD size...), and coding. They don't even have a donation page or anything like that on their site or on any of their other official sources, and I'm assuming there won't be one ever.
Those statements may be "facts," but how do they support the notion that TTR has no potential legal issues? The fact that "everyone has the files" doesn't mean everyone can do anything they want with them...

As for TTR not stealing members, I've heard this sentiment many times, and I partially agree. I mean, being "non-profit" certainly makes TTR seem more innocent. However, it's still a form of competition; if someone is playing TTR, they may be less likely to play a game such as Club Penguin.
Quote:
I've seen people causing arguments all over the place about Toontown Rewritten's legal issues, and it's getting really out of hand. Before you try to convince others that the game's going to be shut down for legal issues, consider the facts.
I agree that attempting to convince people that TTR will be shut down doesn't make much sense -- it's impossible to be certain about its future. But, I also think this goes both ways; it doesn't make any more sense to say the project is entirely legal, or that there's no chance any action will be taken against it.

TTR, at its core, is illegal -- you can't just remake and distribute anything you want. That said, I really don't know what will happen to it.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Recreating My TTO Toon
Solaria's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Relaxed
Solaria helps all the newbs!Solaria helps all the newbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Med View Post
2020 I heard.
That's not that long phhsssttt.

Yeah if the copyright is expiring in 2020 I don't know how ttr will make it
Old 11-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Mobian Raichu
Pow Pow's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Silly
Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!Pow Pow has the heart of a hobbit!
It's safe to say that Toontown's copyright won't expire in our lifetimes. The only way that Toontown Rewritten would be legal is if they got premission from Disney, which is highly unlikely, as Disney would want us to play Club Penguin and the unannounced online games. That is why Disney would shut down Toontown Rewritten.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 AM
What Does That Button Do?
Captain Candy's Main Toon Info

Captain Candy was one of the first to find ^^vv<><>BA
I doubt it. TTR has gotten pretty big -- being all over the internet, youtube, wikipedia, etc. I'm sure disney would have done SOMETHING by now. Plus there has been Club Penguin servers (iCP) and there is a VMK server somewhere I think.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Bongo Boingenboucer/Skinny Wacko Jr
Skinny Wacko Picklepocket's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Horsey
Skinny Wacko Picklepocket will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeSkinny Wacko Picklepocket will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeSkinny Wacko Picklepocket will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeSkinny Wacko Picklepocket will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeSkinny Wacko Picklepocket will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeSkinny Wacko Picklepocket will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeSkinny Wacko Picklepocket will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeSkinny Wacko Picklepocket will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeSkinny Wacko Picklepocket will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeSkinny Wacko Picklepocket will one day be as helpful as Samwise GamgeeSkinny Wacko Picklepocket will one day be as helpful as Samwise Gamgee
Does anyone, or maybe the parents of the kids out there, in some way know of a lawyer good enough that they can ask this question to, free of charge?
Old 11-18-2013, 02:08 AM
Recreating My TTO Toon
Solaria's Main Toon Info

My Mood: Relaxed
Solaria helps all the newbs!Solaria helps all the newbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pow Pow View Post
It's safe to say that Toontown's copyright won't expire in our lifetimes. The only way that Toontown Rewritten would be legal is if they got premission from Disney, which is highly unlikely, as Disney would want us to play Club Penguin and the unannounced online games. That is why Disney would shut down Toontown Rewritten.
You spelled Di$$$$$ney wrong